.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Heavy-Handed Politics

"€œGod willing, with the force of God behind it, we shall soon experience a world
without the United States and Zionism."€ -- Iran President Ahmadi-Nejad

Friday, April 01, 2005

Michael Schiavo's Attorney Felos Specializes in Right-to-Die Law

The Associated Press has a fairly glowing report on George Felos, who represented Michael Schiavo.

According to the report, he has a "cool courtroom demeanor (that) belies an inner spiritual intensity" and is "a devoted practitioner of yoga and meditation, and a classical pianist."

Heavyhanded says, "Well, how nice - a nice, cool, calm lawyer that is engulfed in a sea of tranquility and is cultured to boot."

Felos wrote a book in 2002, I believe, entitled "Litigation as Spiritual Practice." In this book he wrote about what he is best known for now, his claim for "having been able to communicate with the soul of Estelle Browning."

According to this AP story:

Browning had suffered a stroke and could not speak, but Felos said he was able to sense that her soul was in agony.

"As she screamed, I heard her say in confusion, 'Why am I still here?'" Felos wrote in his book. "My soul touched hers and in some way I communicated that she was still locked to her body, I promised I would do everything in my power to gain the release her soul cried for."

Heavyhanded needs to know: How does one go about getting their soul "to touch" anothers? While at her bedside, was he in a yoga position and in a state of meditation when this occurred?

Felos also has been quoted as saying,"Well, what we are in essence can't be described by words. The mind is finite, and what we are is infinite. We know what we're not. We're not the body. We're not the mind. We're not our thoughts. We're not our emotions. In essence we're spiritual beings."

Who does he sound like? The Daili Lama? Deepak Chopra? You decide.

And another thing. After Terry Schaivo passed away, Feros spoke to reporters. It was somewhat odd in that it really wasn't a Q & A session; he just got on his soap box and droned on and on. I took away a couple of things from this soap box sermon. One, I got the feeling that this was a man who was in love with himself and loved to hear himself talk. Two, this was a man infatuated with death. And three, this was a man who exaggerates his importance and significance.

Shortly after his pitiful speech to the press, I read this:
In his book
Felos describes himself as a “crusader” for the “right-to-die” in chapter 21, where he also admits to enjoying his status as a news celebrity, describing it as “exhilarating” to see himself on television. (pg. 217) Later he writes, “I was getting pretty good at trying my case in the media and shaping public opinion."
And also in his book

Felos illustrates this power in his own life by describing an incident while on a plane during a time when he was engaged in a “right-to-die” case and had become very involved in the hospice movement. He pondered, “I wonder what it would be like to die right now?” and “indulged the thought by imagining the plane starting to lose it trajectory and descend.” The plane did, creating chaos in the cabin as people began to realize the plane was going to crash. “Needless to say, the juxtaposition of my imagined death and the possibility of a real demise heightened for me my different reactions. I assure you, my hubris in assuming that I would meet a life-ending crash with equanimity was not lost on me.” (pgs. 181-182) The pilot later explained to the passengers that there was an unexplained problem with the auto pilot which caused the momentary descent. “At that instant a clear, distinctly independent and slightly stern voice said to me, ‘Be careful what you think. You are more powerful than you realize.’ In quick succession I was startled, humbled and blessed by God’s admonishment.” (pg. 182)

I feel my gut instincts about this guy has been affirmed. Oh, I almost forgot. This too is from his book
"As these unprocessed experiences entered my throat, I often felt absolute, unimaginable terror—like I was being murdered, hacked to bits. One time I could actually feel a long blade plunging into my chest; another time I could smell the dank, putrid odor of an attacker. Other dark cells brought on indescribably intense grief and its accompanying pain, as if a beloved child of mine were dying. … "
Yep, this is one odd character, folks. My family and I will be keeping a significant amount of distance between him and us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home