.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Heavy-Handed Politics

"€œGod willing, with the force of God behind it, we shall soon experience a world
without the United States and Zionism."€ -- Iran President Ahmadi-Nejad

Thursday, August 02, 2007

BRIDGE COLLAPSES

I had some anxious moments last night when I heard a bridge had collapsed in Minneapolis that crosses over the Mississippi River. The initial reports left it unclear to me exactly which bridge it was that had collapsed.

But I knew that my twin daughters and their significant others were going to the Minnesota Twins baseball game last night at 7:10 P.M. One of them lives in St. Paul and has to cross the Mississippi to get to Minneapolis and to the baseball stadium.

Fortunately, my daughter had a power outage in her apartment complex which delayed her and her fiancee and put them behind schedule. They got to the area and traffic was at a standstill and they could see black smoke. This was around 6:10 P.M.

They turned around and found an alternate route and heard on the radio what had just happened. Thank God for that.

The death toll is low right now, but it will go higher as there are vehicles in the river with victims still inside. I expect possibly a final death toll to be around 40 when it is all over.

My other twin daughter found out this morning that a friend and co-worker's car fell 60 feet and she is now at the hospital and she is going into surgery and both of her legs are broken and her spine is fractured.

My prayers go out to the victims and their families.

Story: Reuters
Search for missing in Minneapolis bridge collapse.

2 Comments:

  • Happy to hear you and yours are okay. I thought about when the news came out.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:32 AM  

  • Thanks, Anotmo.

    My daughter and fiancee were about a 1/4 mile from the bridge when it went down.

    So we are talking literally seconds (15-20 seconds at 60 MPH) away from a bad outcome.

    She has been quite retrospective these last few days. I think she feels like she dodged a bullet.

    By Blogger HeavyHanded, at 10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home