.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Heavy-Handed Politics

"€œGod willing, with the force of God behind it, we shall soon experience a world
without the United States and Zionism."€ -- Iran President Ahmadi-Nejad

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

COMPUTER ISSUES

I have been struggling with computer issues for the last few days. Last Wednesday evening and Thursday I started having internet connectivity problems. Trying to determine if it was a cable company problem (I have Comcast Cable), a modem problem, or a router problem, I decided, what the hell, I might as well add some long overdue RAM memory.

I eliminated a faulty router possibility and decided to go with a new modem. I seemed to be having problems off and on with my modem recently anyway, so again I decided what the hell - it's only money. Heh.

Having installed that, I called Comcast with the new modem info so they can do whatever it is they do on their end to make the new modem functional. Sooooooooo, I was back online. But I was not happy with my computers speed and efficiency. That too has been a problem for awhile and seemed to be getting worse - you know - slower.

I faithfully run anti-spyware and antivirus and have firewall software, along with the router of course having its' own firewall. I was not picking up any spyware or viruses from my scans.

I finally tried AVG anti-root kit (not their spyware software, and not their virus software). It is free, and is designed to look for rootkits .

It found 48 little buggers. Who knows how long I have had them. I have had my router only for a couple of months, so I may have had these little nastys (or most of them) prior to setting up the router and its firewall.

But you cannot assume that all these hidden files the anti root-kit found are illegitimate, so then the research on the internet begins to try and identify them as legit -- or not.

I also had to uninstall and then re-install Firefox browser as it became quite lame throughout this whole process - perhaps I got rid of a file that I should not have -- I don't know. But so far so good, at least for now.

A pox to all of you evil morons out there who design these computer bugs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home