.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Heavy-Handed Politics

"€œGod willing, with the force of God behind it, we shall soon experience a world
without the United States and Zionism."€ -- Iran President Ahmadi-Nejad

Saturday, December 25, 2004

Grateful mother says 'Semper Fidelis'
A Letter From a Marine Mom Appearing in the HeraldNet


You thank someone when they give you a gift. You thank people for compliments, favors, extra efforts made on your behalf. You thank people all of your life from the time you learn that it's impolite not to.

Just what can you say that is remotely close to adequate to thank someone who is no longer here to thank and who has given you the greatest gift of sacrifice that can be given? On Nov. 15, Marine Sgt. Rafael Peralta with Alpha Company, 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine in Fallujah gave me my son's life. My son is a Marine PFC who was in the room when Sgt. Peralta, already shot by an insurgent, cradled a live grenade thrown by the enemy beneath his body to shield the other Marines who were with him. My son was one of those Marines. This champion of men made the split-second decision to sacrifice his life for his men - my son. The words don't exist to describe what's in my heart for this man. He will be with me the rest of my life. Not a day will go by without the name Peralta crossing through my mind. This immigrant son from Mexico became one of the finest Americans of his generation, indeed any generation.

Sgt. Rafael Peralta, the only thing this grateful mother can say to you is Semper Fidelis, Sgt. Peralta, Semper Fidelis.

Julie Snyder

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home